DataDeck is a graphical frontend for the dpm tool (once known as Datapkg), for working with data and interacting with CKAN. It aims to ease the use of dpm for non technical users. Moreover, it runs on most environments where its dependencies are met.
It is written using Python programming language and the wxWidgets, through wxPython.
DataDeck is currently under development and has reached version v0.4.0.
It uses Semantic Versioning for defining releases.
You can follow the development status by reading the posts tagged “datadeck”.
- All functionalities can be reached from the main GUI (tabbed GUI style)
- The Main GUI is diveded in three main parts: Library, Search and Create
- Library: the unique workspace of Packages in which downloaded, created and modified packages are stored or deleted.
- Search: gives the user the possibility to search (and download) packages from thedatahub.org
- Create: addition and modification of Packages – ex-novo or from already existant packages
- A Package not located in the library can be opened (File->Open) and saved in the Library
- The installation of dpm is detected at program start, user is warned if it is missing
- The configuration is created on first program start, user is warned to set a Package Library path
- The configuration can be easily changed from the Settings
- wxPython (2.8.x should be enough)
If you already have setuptools installed, dpm and ckanclient (required by dpm) should automatically be installed.
You can either manually download the latest stable version from GitHub or install it using setuptools:
Browse the repository tags and download the last stable version. Install it using python setup.py install (root user required, or use sudo).
As root user, or append sudo before: easy_install datadeck
- Clone the Git repository at http://github.com/dgraziotin/datadeck
- Download the latest development snapshot
The installation process will create a command (under /usr/bin for a GNU/Linux distribution) called datadeck. This is what you must run in order to use the program.
Please use the bug tracker
Read the report (PDF file).
DataDeck is released under the BSD 2-Clause License.